Losing your ability to hear can be challenging. It can also dramatically affect your quality of life. Everyday sounds, conversations, and music are all part of the fabric of your life. When you are having trouble hearing, it can seem overwhelming. The good news is, there are effective ways to deal with hearing loss.
The doctors at South Coast Ear, Nose & Throat offer a full range of ENT services, including options to give you back your hearing ability. They have several convenient office locations in Fort Pierce, Okeechobee, and Port St. Lucie, FL.
Hearing loss is a common problem affecting over 30% of adults over age 65, according to the American Speech-Language Hearing Association. You may be having some degree of hearing loss if you experience:
- Hearing muffled speech sounds
- Difficulty understanding individual words
- Needing people to speak more slowly or loudly
- Needing to turn up the volume on the television or radio
- Wanting to withdraw from conversations
- Wanting to avoid social events
If you are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms listed above, you should schedule a hearing test. A hearing screening is quick, easy and inexpensive. Hearing tests can determine your degree of hearing loss and help you and your doctor decide the right treatment option for you.
Your doctor may recommend a hearing aid. There are several types of hearing aids for you to consider including:
- CIC hearing aids, which are completely in the canal
- ITE hearing aids, which are in the ear
- BTE hearing aids, which loop over the top of your ear and behind it
- Cochlear implants, which perform the functions of parts of your ear that are no longer working properly
Your hearing is precious, and hearing loss can happen so gradually, you may not even notice it. That’s why it’s important to schedule a hearing test at least every 10 years through age 50, and every 3 years after age 50.
If you are dealing with hearing loss, it’s time to get some help. It’s time to call your ENT at South Coast Ear, Nose & Throat, with offices in Fort Pierce, Okeechobee, and Port St. Lucie, FL. Call now!