Are you suffering from allergies? Well, you're not alone. One in every six people in the United States suffers from allergies. If you are suffering from allergies, our Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce and Okeechobee, FL, doctors can help.
What are Allergies?
Allergies are triggered in a variety of ways. When your immune system reacts to a certain substance, usually something that's not harmful like peanuts, people suffer from a variety of symptoms: sneezing, runny nose, nasal stuffiness and itchy, watery eyes, chronic sinus problems, frequent colds, recurring ear infections, hearing loss, dizziness, chronic cough, asthma, skin rashes, postnasal drip, head congestion, chronic headaches and fatigue.
How is your immune system triggered?
Your immune system is triggered by allergens present that you:
They appear at any age and vary in severity from one person to another. Here are a few examples of allergens you may find yourself in contact with: pollen, dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, food (like nuts), insect stings (wasps or bees), and medicines.
If you don't know what you're allergic to, contact your Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce and Okeechobee doctor to make an appointment for an examination.
How do allergies affect your ears, nose and throat?
Doctor diagnose your symptoms to successfully control and alleviate your allergy symptoms.
Your doctor will check:
- Ears: Allergies can inflame and swell the ear canal. Bacterial discharge clogs the middle ear's tubes and leads to infection due to improper drainage.
- Throat: People may suffer from allergies and use heater, or air conditioners that aggravate their symptoms, may experience:
- Nasal dripping due to excessive mucus production
- Sore throat (husky voice)
- Accumulation of thick and dry mucus.
- Nose: Allergens breathed in may cause bacterial sinus infections which may lead to:
- A stuffy and/or itchy nose
- Mucus production
Have questions about treatments for allergies, call your Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce and Okeechobee, FL, doctor today!